Tomorrow is the Day.

When I think about a year ago tomorrow. . . and all that encompassed those last few moments with my friend, my heart starts beating really loudly and I get all clenched.  I struggle to keep those tears in my eyes--because according to Jill, it doesn't officially count as a "cry" if the tears didn't make it out of your eyes.

And when you're a habitual crier like myself, you need to tone it down a little so your Daily Cry Count isn't astronomical.  

I don't know how many times I would look at her and say, "Don't do it!" or "Don't cry!" because we both knew if one of us cried, the other was going to join immediately.

And I really didn't want to reapply her eye makeup.  It was intimidating.  

But that morning, I was stuck in this time paradox--I was begging for more time to tell her everything that I would need to tell her for the rest of my life, and simultaneously begging that her time would quickly pass to keep her from hurting any longer.  

But I walked out of that room a changed person. 

Because you can't embrace life until you've seen the nearness of death.  

And Jill would want us to embrace life.  To grab ahold of it, shake it, and make the most of every single moment and every single encounter with every single person.  

One of the ways I'm honoring my friend tomorrow is making each person I come into contact with the most important person at that moment.  I'm going to take the time to talk to them.  I'm going to ask them questions, and I'm going to really listen to their answers and try to empathize with them.  I'm not going to take another call or check my messages while talking to them.  I'm going to smile and be engaging.  I'm going to try to completely understand where they are coming from, and do my best to encourage them if they need a pat on the back. 

And I'm going to do it in a way that isn't artificial or forced.  I'm going to be the person that I would want to encounter. 

I always marveled at her ability to make someone feel like the most important person in the room--that was one of her most special qualities.  

That Jill.  Such a charmer. 

Photo courtesy of Cliff Hollis
Even if you didn't personally know Jill, I hope you will consider being a part of this special day.

I'm so interested in hearing how you spend your day tomorrow--please feel free to leave a comment with a link to your blog here for those who aren't on FB and/or a comment on the FB page so we can read what you're doing with your day. 


Comments

Popular Posts