48.6 is the new 40: 13.1 (and why I think the Magic Kingdom is a little like your first moments in Heaven)

On the morning of the half marathon, I woke up ready to roll.  Today was the first day it felt a little more "real" because this distance was going to take a little longer and we were inching closer to the marathon the next day.

I knew that today's race was going to be ran in honor of the Fab Five and The Squad, which are comprised of my biological girls, some that I claim as my children, and some of their most favorite people on the planet.  The Fab Five is the name we affectionately call my girls and their BFFs they met at our church (and whose parents are some of my favorite grownups on the planet), and the Squad is a group of friends from camp who have become quite a large group.

These kids give me hope for the next generation, and I hope they remember that sometimes life (like a long race) gets really hard.  It's going to get scary and loud and sometimes you're not going to know up from down. You're going to get tired.  You're going to want to cry.  You're going to wonder what in the world you've done and how you're going to get out of it.  Sometimes it'll be incredible, and sometimes it will feel really horrible.

So when you're ready to quit?  

Just. keep. going.

Run hard after Jesus.
Do the work.
And surround yourself with good, good friends.

It makes everything better.
The Fab-best Five I know

Squad

Also Squad aka Cute People


My sister was also running this event, but she did not want to wait for the end of the bus time like Chris and I had gotten into the habit of doing. runDisney gives you about an hour window to board buses at their resorts to get to the start line in order to make it to the corrals before the race.  Chris and I had been waiting until almost the end of the time window and had no issues getting right on a bus, but we let her know where we had been meeting Dan (by the big purple Joffrey's coffee truck) and agreed to see her there.

I had also brought down a resort room coffee and a couple of gels for the ride.  This was the first event they were going to offer on-course fuel (Sports Beans) around mile 8 or 9, but I knew I would need a little more in my system before the banana and food box at the end.

Once we arrived at the start area, we were sad to discover there was not, in fact, a purple truck selling coffee for pre-race consumption (Dan was the most sad about this).  It was another long wait until we finally made our way to the start of the corrals.  We headed in a different direction this morning and there were way more people for the half-marathon.  Erin decided she wanted to start in her corral, so we wished her luck and the 3 Dopeys made our way to our corral.

People were filling in several lanes of a road waiting in the corrals for the start. 
You can also see the rows of porta potties on the left for pre-race needs. 

We got started and were separated pretty quickly into the race.  I wasn't quite sure where everyone was and I just kept running my intervals.  I felt great--it was a little warmer and muggy, but overcast and a little misty at times, and luckily everything was staying in place (unlike the day before).  I have actually come to enjoy a half marathon.  It's not an unbearable distance or time, and it was fun because today was the first day the course went beyond Epcot.

For this race, we started again outside of Epcot and made our way down the highway towards the Magic Kingdom (about mile 5 or 6), and then back towards Epcot to the finish line.

But the run down Main Street, U.S.A. is hands down the best moment in the race.  

If you're not familiar with Disney, it is the road leading to the iconic Disney castle.  During the race it is lined with so many cheering fans and the sound is overwhelming.  I cry every. single. time. I hit that part of the race (or watch it on YouTube, or even talk about it) because I am convinced that it is a hint of what it will be like when we get to Heaven one day.  The streets will be lined with those who have gone on before us--urging us onward in our trials.  It's going to be filled with people hollering our names like a bunch of lunatics and jumping up and down when they see someone they know--all looking at the glorious throne (in this case, the castle) ahead.

It is almost an indescribable feeling and it gets me in all the right places.

I really felt like this was my best race in regards to easy pacing and very little fatigue. It's a fairly flat course with just a few overpasses, and I remember smiling with contentment as I made my way back to Epcot.  I'm not going to say that it was the "runners high"--but it was a good feeling after all of my aches and pain and worry heading into this event.

One unfortunate side effect of this race included some nasty chaffing on my left underarm--about a quarter-sized hot spot.  I ran for a little while with my elbows up and out to ease the pain and scanned for a medical tent.  runDisney events always have some medical tents and self-care areas in which they pass out things like Vaseline, Biofreeze, and Tylenol (and have volunteers and medical staff on hand for more serious needs)--so I grabbed a swab of Vaseline at the next one, thanked the volunteers, and was pretty good to go for the rest of the race.

I had set a goal of finishing this race in 2:45-3:00 hours due to crowds, fatigue, and potty breaks and was able to finish it in 2:41 (with only one porta potty break right after the Magic Kingdom). 

My sister, Erin

My uncle, Dan

My husband, Chris. Stud.

And myself (and other random people)

After the race, Chris and I showered and went to meet my parents and girls in Epcot.  We ate lunch and then I spent some time with the girls.  Chris decided he wanted to rest before his first marathon ever the next day. Olivia and I headed over to the Magic Kingdom for a little bit for a little one-on-one time.  Chris came back a few hours later and we ate dinner with O before heading back to the resort for bed while the big two hung out a little bit longer with my parents.  We had an earlier wake up the next morning as we were supposed to be on the bus between 2:30-3:00am.

I laid out my clothes for the final event and felt a weird mix of relief and exhaustion.  I was so ready to get this final race behind me, but also sad in a way to say goodbye to this crazy challenge that had pushed me so hard for so long.

to be continued...

Comments

Popular Posts