Fresh Outta Cute by Mama A.

Hey friend--

I know you're busy with a million things to do and places to go and things to be, and you've got big dreams waiting for you so I'm only gonna take a few minutes of your time.  In fact, I'm challenging myself to write this in less than 10 minutes because I know your life is full of adventure and stuff and you probably don't have time for the deep stuff today.

I've seen the romantic notions about life the media and the world and the church has placed on your head.  I've seen the way you've dreamed and prayed and readied yourself for the logical steps life was going to throw your way--school, college, job, marriage, house, babies, and trips.  I've seen you scratch your head in frustration when things didn't go exactly as planned.  I've seen you rally and pull up your bootstraps and pretend that it was all just fine, and that this disappointment meant you were going to try again because that's what someone does if at first they don't succeed.

That's what all of those Disney movies taught you.
And your parents.
And the world.

That it was all going to turn out fine.  

But, somewhere along the way, you've realized that perhaps something was wrong with it all, because try as you may, it wasn't turning out fine.  And you are puzzled by this because you've done everything you were supposed to do, and say, and be, and it was still one big frustrating mess.  You start looking for answers and blame to point at, because enough was enough.  You've chameleoned your way into friendships and relationships and trying to get people to notice you.  You've been angry and jealous at those who seem to have it all together, and you are positive they are judging your failures.

And then the voice starts whispering in your ear that perhaps it isn't everyone else that's letting you down.  Maybe, it whispers, there is something wrong with you.  And you've tied up your whole identity into being the player in a perfect fairy tale, but it hasn't happened.  And your friends seem to have found exactly what they were looking for, but you're left alone and you're feeling fresh outta cute.

Friend, if you were here and sitting on the couch with me, I'd apologize for my dog getting in your business and I'd offer you a cup of coffee.  And I would listen to your woes, and then I would look at you and remind you to not take the fastest road to shortcut to your dreams.

I would remind you that just because one person or several decided to not ask you to star in their fairytale doesn't mean you aren't worthy to play a leading role.

I would tell you that no one starts at a top-level job and everyone has to do their time in places that are not always ideal, and one day you will be glad for the reality check.

I would also remind you that the more you turn yourself inside out to please the world and him and her and them, the more you end up looking like a pair of inside out jeans--faded, stringy, and a less awesome version of yourself.

Today is the day you tell the voices and the world and the people who expect you to be something that you're not and who make you feel less about yourself:

No.  More. 

It's time to stop worrying about what the world wants you to worry about.  It's time to listen to the small Voice in your heart.  It's time to stop forcing yourself into an oddly-shaped hole.  Tell those voices in your life who make you feel badly about yourself to take a hike.  

You're worth more than this.  
You're better than this. 
And no one does you better than you. 

Love, 
Mama A. 
xoxxo

Popular Posts