Higher hopes.

Yesterday morning I was frantically going over my to-do list for home and work and life after being away for a few days and realized that I'm probably not going to be able to physically or mentally do it all by myself.

And then the familiar feelings of disappointment and inner shame took hold of my heart momentarily. I am an overachiever to a fault at times, and I hate letting myself down almost as much as letting down others around me.  I think sometimes I hold myself to a higher standard, and as easy as it is for me to extend grace to others in the same boat, I often refuse to let my perceived failures off the hook.

As I was going through my inner-monologue of self-shaming, a thought occurred to me and stopped me in my tracks:

Higher hopes do not translate into failures. 

Let me rephrase--not getting the house spotless because company is coming is not a failure.  
It means you're human. 

Falling off the diet wagon one time because you literally did not have time to cook rushing to and from everything on your calendar that day (plus two more fun events thrown in the mix) is not a failure.
It means you're busy. 

Not being able to make Pinterest-worthy cards, crafts, or decorations is not a failure.
It means you probably have a job or a family who demands more of your attention currently.

Not being able to (or even wanting to) achieve superstar status at work is not a failure.
It might mean you're just in a different season and you can't be a superstar at everything.

Let me say that again:  You can't be a superstar at everything. 

We can't be superstars at everything.

I can't be a superstar at everything. 


We tell our kids all the time to give it their best shots and we compliment them for being brave and taking a chance--even if they failed the test or didn't make the team.  We tell our friends who are coming apart at the seams that it's ok if they aren't quite all together and that they need to take it easy on themselves because we love them just the way they are.    

I've said it before in this space, but I feel like it's a thought that needs repeating:  

You absolutely cannot be all things to all people at all times and in all places.  

And you don't have to save the world.  
That's been taken care of already by Someone a lot more capable then us frazzled folks.  

At the end of the day, if I know I gave it everything I had and it wasn't quite good enough, then I am not a failure.  
If I know that my basic needs and requirements have been met for the day, then I am not a failure.  
If I can't always give 110%, then I am not a failure.  

And neither are you.  

Comments

Popular Posts