Verbage.

Although I was a music major, if I had to choose a favorite medium it would have to be the use of words.  When I read things that are well-written, my heart tends to overflow.  I have to stop and consider and marvel at the way the writer took ordinary words and put them onto paper in such as way that makes me want to read it again and again and again.  I love the use of words in home decor.  I like fonts.  I love looking at people's handwriting--the rise and fall of the strokes, the unique patterns that occur in their penmanship.  I love the lyrics to songs almost more than the actual notes--especially when the words are delightfully unpredictable and genius. 

I love to write in this little space.  I hope my words encourage.  I hope that I write things that fill hearts and make laughter and raise the Ordinary Folks flag just a little bit higher.  I've always been pretty reserved in public places.  The introvert in me becomes exhausted by interacting with the masses.  I don't like to speak in front of big groups of people and I get flustered when my thoughts move faster than the words in my head.  But, when I write here I feel like I'm flying--I can craft my words to say exactly what is on my mind.  I'm honored when people read and share what I have to say.  

I love it when my words define me.

My words, however, are the very thing that often get me into trouble.  I've snapped at my children.  I've been short with my husband.  I've argued my points.  I've gossiped.  I've lied.  I've been misunderstood.  I say things in haste that I don't really mean, and I've been quick to throw out a careless response.  I've been embarrassed by things I've said.  Most of my least favorite and head-hanging moments have occurred as a direct result of my words.  I'm most disappointed in myself when my words have gotten me into bad situations.   It's not who I want to be.  

I hate it when my words define me.

“You have minds like a snake pit! How do you suppose what you say is worth anything when you are so foul-minded? It’s your heart, not the dictionary, that gives meaning to your words. A good person produces good deeds and words season after season. An evil person is a blight on the orchard. Let me tell you something: Every one of these careless words is going to come back to haunt you. 
There will be a time of Reckoning. Words are powerful; take them seriously. 
Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation.”
Matthew 12:34-37 (The Message)

Our words, our words, our words.  May we all be on guard with the things that come out of our mouths and written on our blogs and`social media sites.  May we be careful to not say and write things in haste and may we remember to extend grace to others when they say and write things we find hurtful.  


Because Lord knows we are all in need of a little grace, too.  


Comments

Popular Posts