Make it Quick: Potatoes.

I don't have time to think about dinner when it rolls around.  Between after school activities, early bedtimes, and the exhaustion of just working in general, I need to come prepared for dinnertime with a plan of attack.  Sometimes on particularly busy afternoons, I choose to hit up a drive through, but that often means wasting money by not eating the food we have at home.

Recently at the end of the month, I was looking in the pantry for dinner inspiration and pulled out exactly 4 items we had on hand:

  • Potatoes--we had a few of the microwaved variety.  I have always been a baked potato snob--oven only, please.  But, one day curiosity (and a good sale at the market) got the best of me and I bought a few to try.  My eyes have been opened to a fast alternative. Totally easy--pop 'em in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes until soft on the outside.  I usually cook 3-4 at the same time.  
  • Velveeta--small block, cubed
  • Hormel Chili (we use the "no beans" variety at this house)
  • Rotel--original
While the potatoes are doing their thing in the microwave, combine the Velveeta, Hormel, and Rotel in a medium-sized pot and warm on low until the cheese is melted.  Be sure to stir as needed to avoid burning the bottom.  

Once the potatoes are soft--slice and pour the cheese dip on top.  You can also add a little green onions, sour cream, etc as garnish.  FYI--it's also extremely delightful with tortilla chips.  Game food, anyone? 

While it may not top the "healthy" charts, it's a crowd pleaser around here, inexpensive, and very quick to throw together in a pinch.  

Warm and full bellies on a busy Monday?  
I'll make it.    

Comments

  1. When my mom is not in the mood to cook, I rejoice because that means, I would get to order pizza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experience great difficulty and frustration when trying to convince my well-meaning friends that beans do not belong in chili. Whether you actually agree in principle or just in this particular application, you have my congratulations on choosing the unadulterated Hormel variety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SammyBoy--I will only buy the "No Beans" variety of Hormel!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts