Monday, January 6, 2014

Make it Quick: Potatoes.

I don't have time to think about dinner when it rolls around.  Between after school activities, early bedtimes, and the exhaustion of just working in general, I need to come prepared for dinnertime with a plan of attack.  Sometimes on particularly busy afternoons, I choose to hit up a drive through, but that often means wasting money by not eating the food we have at home.

Recently at the end of the month, I was looking in the pantry for dinner inspiration and pulled out exactly 4 items we had on hand:

  • Potatoes--we had a few of the microwaved variety.  I have always been a baked potato snob--oven only, please.  But, one day curiosity (and a good sale at the market) got the best of me and I bought a few to try.  My eyes have been opened to a fast alternative. Totally easy--pop 'em in the microwave for about 10-12 minutes until soft on the outside.  I usually cook 3-4 at the same time.  
  • Velveeta--small block, cubed
  • Hormel Chili (we use the "no beans" variety at this house)
  • Rotel--original
While the potatoes are doing their thing in the microwave, combine the Velveeta, Hormel, and Rotel in a medium-sized pot and warm on low until the cheese is melted.  Be sure to stir as needed to avoid burning the bottom.  

Once the potatoes are soft--slice and pour the cheese dip on top.  You can also add a little green onions, sour cream, etc as garnish.  FYI--it's also extremely delightful with tortilla chips.  Game food, anyone? 

While it may not top the "healthy" charts, it's a crowd pleaser around here, inexpensive, and very quick to throw together in a pinch.  

Warm and full bellies on a busy Monday?  
I'll make it.    

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails