Post-Storm Reflectiveness. And Perspective.

Post-hurricane reflection is the best.

For some reason, no matter the size of the hurricane, one always stops and realizes how lucky they are because there is always someone who has it worse than you.

Leak in your house? Someone else lost their roof.

Trees down in your yard?  Someone else had them fall all over their house and cars.

Few days off work?  Someone else lost their entire business.

No power/water for a few hours?  Someone else will go days or maybe a week or more without it.

Lost the food in your fridge?  Someone else will go without until at least payday (or maybe longer) because they spent every dime this month already.

It doesn't matter how big our problems seem, it could always be worse. 

This Wednesday, we are celebrating the life of one of my dearest friends, Jill Hollis.  If you stop over at her blog today you will find adorable photos like this one:

It really doesn't get any cuter than feathered hair and pigtails and Cosby-style sweaters!
Photo courtesy of Cliff Hollis


If I didn't gain anything else from Jill (and that would be a lie), I gained tremendous perspective.  Through her life, she taught us all that it could always be worse.  We could choose to wallow, or we could choose to trust in God, put our Big Girl (or Gentleman) Pants on, and do something about it.  

I am so thankful for the gift of my friendship with Jill.  She was my friend, my confident, my mentor, and my encourager.  She pushed all of us to be the person we were created to be, rather than letting fear and doubt get in the way.   

Comments

Popular Posts