Monday, April 18, 2011

The Gift of Written Word

I picked it up last August for a whole $0.25.  A pink, wide-ruled, marbled composition book at Target.  It was cute, it was functional, and it was cheap.

If I didn't see the project through, then I wouldn't be out more than a quarter.  I could probably find that quarter sometime and call it even.

But I chose to write.  And write.  And write.  And write.

This marbled composition book has brought me through wonderful moments of peace and clarity.  A clipping from Southern Living, funny moment from my kids, random thoughts (anyone else love the sound of crinkled notebook paper that has been written on both sides?  Anyone else get a weird sense of satisfaction at all?  Anyone???) 

It also saw me through some deep, deep moments.  Moments of sadness, moments of resolution, moments of confusion.  I have words that will only be shared between the Lord and myself.  Too private to share with people, too private to share here.

I don't have the gift of words like some people.  I write from the heart--it's matter of fact, honest, and off the cuff.  I rarely use large vocabulary words, and I tend to put my important statements in the middle.

Because if you're a skimmer like me, your eyes are drawn to changes in the text. 

I never plan for what leaps from my heart onto the paper (or on the keys when I share my thoughts here).  It just comes in a wave, I flush it out, and I move on.

I had a similar period of writing from the end of my junior year into my senior year of college.  A year of trying to determine who I really was and who I wanted to be in this Great Big Wonderful World.  My notebook was slightly fancier, you could probably even call it a journal as it had recycled pages that weren't ironed smooth at a factory.  It was beautiful with a ribbon tie.

There are many times I go through my belongings as a way to purge, but I will never part with these.  These books are evidence of growth, change, and life.  I see things in myself that I would never notice in the day in, day outness of life.


37.  Written word
38.  Personal growth

These are some of my gifts, what are yours?


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails