Darts.

I love my job. 


I get paid to love on college students, talk about worship music, and discuss methods.  


I get to travel and visit places. 


I get to talk to the future leaders of the church and have a small glimpse into their worlds. 


I laugh with them (a LOT). 


I cry with them. 


I listen to them. 


I celebrate with them. 


However, there is a cost to my job.  There will always be a cost. 


I travel quite a bit for work.  It's expensive to be on the road 12 hours a week. 


And, the worst part, I really hate being away from my family when I travel.  


It's hard to explain to my children that I have to be gone for a week to be with other people's children.  


It breaks my heart to be away from them.  


And that's something only a parent can really understand.  


It's hard to leave.  And I know Chris will take excellent care of them, and I know they won't miss me too much after the first day, and I know it's good for all of us to be away from each other once in a while. 


But, it is really hard. 


It's probably the worst part of my job.  


I also get a terrible case of the "what ifs" when I'm preparing to leave.  Anxiety is high and it seems like I can never really shake it until I'm back at home at the end of the week.  


I know that once I get on the road things are fine, I enjoy myself, and it ends up being a great experience.  I know I wouldn't trade these experiences for anything and they are some of my favorite times.  All I have to say is "Russelville" or "Waco" to my students and they instantly get it


But, when you are facing a big experience, darts start flying. 


And the enemy is not going to use some pansy, flimsy Nerf darts. 


Nope, he's coming for blood.  


And he aims directly for your exposed and weak spots. 


So, if you're the praying sort, please pray for all of us as we prepare to travel.  Pray that we will have a safe trip, that our personalities won't clash, that drama will stay away, and that we will do our jobs to the very best of our abilities.  Pray for focus, stamina, and determination.  Pray for our desires not to be about us or our glory or personal recognition.


And until then I will continue to keep these words in my heart:


Psalm 121: 7-8 

God guards you from every evil, 


      he guards your very life. 
   He guards you when you leave and when you return, 
      he guards you now, he guards you always.

Comments

  1. The Lord will guard you and guide you indeed! I read something today on Donald Miller's blog that was really encouraging, about not entertaining hypotheticals. Sort of saying the same thing in a new way -- it might be encouraging! http://donmilleris.com/2011/02/01/a-creator-does-not-entertain-hypotheticals/

    I hope you have an awesome trip and know that the Lord is with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts