Guilt and Worry: 4 Letter Words

I am tired of being guilty--judged harshly and severely by a jury of one.  

I am tired of making myself sick with unnecessary worry. 

I am tired of living up to brutal expectations I place on myself.

"If I don't stay home with my kids they won't have the same mommy-child interaction that she has with her kids.  She's a better mommy than me."

"If I don't prepare this lecture to the nth degree people will know that I'm just a 31 year old girl pretending to be a professor.  They are all better at this and they see my insecurities."

"If I don't clean my house regularly people will know that we have clutter, small children, and a dog.  I'll never be as good as my mom."

"If I don't check my email constantly someone might get offended because I didn't respond in 2 minutes."

"If I put my foot in my mouth I will certainly lose any hopes of maintaining any sort of friendship with this person.  I'm not good at starting friendships anyway."

"If I don't check to ensure that Molly has done her homework correctly I will be a bad parent that teachers talk about.  I know because I used to talk about those parents."

"If I don't act like this or that people will judge me because I am a minister's wife/Bible college professor/Christian.  Talk about a triple whammy."

I am tired of feeling self-imposed pressure.  No one has ever verbalized any of this to me, but sometimes I really get sick of the voices in my head who constantly call me to shape up or ship out.

I think all women deal with some sort of doubt about their abilities.  We all have insecurities and worry points in our lives.

We measure ourselves against a standard that is not fair or realistic

This has been heavy on my heart recently.  Last week I listened to Andy Stanley on my way to work (if you don't subscribe to his podcasts, please do so) and thought constantly about Mr. Stanley's idea that God is our Father--He loves us like our fathers love us:  for who we are and for our potential.  I love my children for who they are and for who they will be.  I see their strengths and weaknesses--and I love them for both.

This morning I also read posts at Chatting at the Sky and (in)courage and they both struck such a chord with me.

For some crazy reason, I was created to be the person I am.  A short, OCD and ADD, emotional mess, musician, wife, mommy, friend.  Before I arrived He knew my path--and He orchestrates things in ways that are unfathomable to my human brain.

Therefore, when I worry and measure myself against anything that is not from Him, I am doubting His ability.  I am refusing to accept His plans and cramming my opinions and choices in place of them.  I am trying so hard to walk this tightrope of perfection--while completely ignoring the fact that I'm on the wrong rope to begin with!

Ridiculous!

I will take a deep breath.

I will walk the path set by the One who holds Time and Planning in His hands.

I will take off my overly scrutinizing glasses, step away from the mirror of self-doubt, and stop looking for acceptance in earthly places.

I will relinquish the gavel and the black robe to the One who is the Authority.  

Comments

  1. Very. Good. Stuff. I think my internal voices are trying to think up reasons for why I don't need to listen to this. :) I am with you! Lord help us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are true words...I would think most of us women would get what you're saying. It is a hard something to do to removce those glasses, allow Him to lead our path and mold us into the women He created us to be. I like that you said "stop looking for acceptance in earthly places" this is often the big fat problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deal with my fair share of insecurities as well. Our society shoves this perfection mentality in our faces on a daily basis and we will never find happiness when looking to the world for acceptance. Thanks for posting. You've been getting really deep in your posts lately and I love that. :) Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies!

    Laura--I've noticed that trend as well and I'm always afraid that it might be too much for some people. But life has its ups and downs and I try so hard to be transparent (at least on this forum), so it's good to get some feedback about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ironic that you use the word mess. Realized today from a Focus on the Family broadcaat that the fist four letters of Messiah are mess. Never thought about that before-our Messiah is a certified expert on messes. Glad to have Him in our corner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lori--so true! Thanks for that thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really appreciate that you are being so authentic and real on here. Sadly, my voices say many of the same things. Seriously, I was struck by how many of your words mirror my own.

    I've recently been convicted by how self-serving my perfectionist desires can be. Most of the unsettling inner messages do not bring me closer to God or others, but instead just make ME look or seem "better" somehow.

    I'm not suggesting this is true in your situation at all. It was just interesting that you posted something so close to my heart in such a clear and identifiable way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think what you are saying is true for all of us, Teri. When we strive to be the best, I think we all raise guilty hands and agree that a lot of the time it's all about bringing glory to us. Shameful, but true. At least in my case.

    PS--I like working with you--what days will you be on campus this semester?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts