Endings

The end of the school year is upon us.

I smile when I think about how nervous I was in August before things began.

How worried I was that I made the wrong decision, would the students like me, would I like the students, would I regret leaving the safety of public schools, yada yada yada

Some things have been exactly like I imagined them.

Some things have been harder than I expected.

Some things have hurt.

Some things have made me rejoice in the goodness of the Lord.

No matter what, God has been faithful.

He has loved on me greatly with this job--and I'm so blessed to be a part of something bigger than me.

I love my students--and I mean that with all sincerity.  They are like family to me, and I've only known them a short while.  It's so crazy because I usually wait a while before I let people into my heart.  However, I made a promise to myself that I would enter this job with a heart wide open--to embrace these students and love them and love on them during this crucial crazy period we refer to as college years.  

Loving people comes with hurt sometimes, and there have been moments I've scratched my head as I tried to get to know some of these students.  Sometimes I've been shocked by a moment of sincerity, when the facade crumbles and the real and beautiful soul finally shines through.

Loving people comes with immense joy as well.  I've laughed until I cried with some of my students.  I have celebrated their accomplishments.  I have jumped up and down in sound booths over their musicianship and ability to lead worship.

And I have had the privilege to know them.

Really?  I get paid to do what I would do for free???

Wow.

They make me laugh.
They make me cry with their hurts.
They keep me on my toes.
And they remind me why I love to teach.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts