My Food BFF

"Let me tell you about beeeeeeeeeesssssssssst friend" (man I miss "Rob and Big"):

 Love mexican food?  Love that crazy kick, but just can't put your finger on what it is (is it onion?  jalapeno?)  Oh man, I love, love, love cilantro!

Recently I posted about the Averys trying to eat better.  This was the first week in our official "we've got to stop eating crap" diet and Chris went to the store and bought a ton of veggies and fruits--many organic and we've been making some interesting and yummy dishes this week.  

Some of the things we've been eating this week include:

  • Sandwich wraps with whole wheat tortillas (stuffed with lean turkey, tomatoes, and cilantro--yum!!!!)
  • Chicken tacos with ww tortillas (notice we used ingredients we had around the house!) with homemade salsa (tomatoes, onions, cilantro, salt & pepper, and a dash of cumin--next time I'll add chilis and/or jalapenos)
  • Vegetable salads--bell pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, and a small amount of cheese
  • Homemade orangeaid (I bought Chris a juicer like they use at Andy's a few years ago and it has become one of my favorite kitchen appliances)
  • More yogurt, bananas, and oranges
I really like the way the organic produce tastes--very homegrown and not like the cardboard tasting produce you find in the store.  However, because it's very expensive Chris and I are talking about growing a lot of our own produce this summer.  We have a few places that would make excellent garden areas around our house and I would love to grow some herbs in my window.  Also, the Farmer's Market is right next to Molly's school and open on Tuesdays and Thursdays (how is that for convenience?)

So, we still have some crutches we need to get over, but we're getting better.  I have noticed that I feel better overall even after just a few adjustments to my diet.  The hardest thing will be making changes on the days I work.  I have free lunch at work and sometimes the salad bar looks less than appetizing.  I also don't care for most of the food on the line.  So, I need to either bite the bullet and just eat salad or start bringing my own lunch.  I also need to plan ahead on those days that I work later and miss family dinner (usually only on Mondays) and resist the urge to pull into McD's or eat crap from the gas station.  I need to either pack a ton of healthy snacks or a dinner for on the road.  

I also purchased two items earlier this week the Consumer Reports Food & Fitness edition and The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life by Bethenny Frankel and Eve Adamson.

We're getting there. . .

Comments

  1. I am on this train with you! Especially the cilantro train. Which they seem to call "coriander" in Britain and South Africa. Anywho. Did you see the salsa recipe I posted at Christmas? we've been making our own as well and really enjoying it. HOWEVER. I just discovered canned tomatoes are tre bad for you. Good thing I have a food processor and my mother-in-law showed me how to blanche and peel! The work is worth it.

    Prevention had something about seven foods that shouldn't cross your lips I read today... you might find it here. http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100246775

    Feel free to share keep sharing recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to find another cilantro lover! I love the stuff. You need to try the pioneer woman's pico de gallo. It is DELISH! I think I posted a link to it on my blog sometime this week.
    My Chris is NOT a cilantro lover. He says it tastes like dish soap or a metal spoon. So...anytime you need a partner in crime to devour the cilantro garnished goodies....I'm game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU EAT CRAP FROM A GAS STATION???

    man that REALLY can't be good ha ha ha - actually made me think of that line from "Happy Gilmore" - shooter mcgavern "I eat pieces of $%#* like you for breakfast" to which Adam/Happy replied "you eat pieces of $%#* for breakfast???" ha ha ha ha ha ha funny every time

    So you and shooter mcG must shop at the same places! ha ha ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts