Love mexican food? Love that crazy kick, but just can't put your finger on what it is (is it onion? jalapeno?) Oh man, I love, love, love cilantro!
Recently I posted about the Averys trying to eat better. This was the first week in our official "we've got to stop eating crap" diet and Chris went to the store and bought a ton of veggies and fruits--many organic and we've been making some interesting and yummy dishes this week.
Some of the things we've been eating this week include:
- Sandwich wraps with whole wheat tortillas (stuffed with lean turkey, tomatoes, and cilantro--yum!!!!)
- Chicken tacos with ww tortillas (notice we used ingredients we had around the house!) with homemade salsa (tomatoes, onions, cilantro, salt & pepper, and a dash of cumin--next time I'll add chilis and/or jalapenos)
- Vegetable salads--bell pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, and a small amount of cheese
- Homemade orangeaid (I bought Chris a juicer like they use at Andy's a few years ago and it has become one of my favorite kitchen appliances)
- More yogurt, bananas, and oranges
So, we still have some crutches we need to get over, but we're getting better. I have noticed that I feel better overall even after just a few adjustments to my diet. The hardest thing will be making changes on the days I work. I have free lunch at work and sometimes the salad bar looks less than appetizing. I also don't care for most of the food on the line. So, I need to either bite the bullet and just eat salad or start bringing my own lunch. I also need to plan ahead on those days that I work later and miss family dinner (usually only on Mondays) and resist the urge to pull into McD's or eat crap from the gas station. I need to either pack a ton of healthy snacks or a dinner for on the road.
I also purchased two items earlier this week the Consumer Reports Food & Fitness edition and The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life by Bethenny Frankel and Eve Adamson.
We're getting there. . .