Silver bells. . . .

"Silver bells.....
It's Christmastime in the city"

I love that song--actually, my grandmother loves that song.  She used to sing it to me all the time when I went to visit her house in the country.  I must have been young--maybe 4?  But I still remember her singing that song to me.  It's funny how these memories stick.

It's made me very mindful of my own children's memories and how I am working to ensure they have good memories of their childhood.  Is it hard at times to dig deep and pull out the Christmas spirit when I really just want to sit on the couch and do nothing?

Absolutely.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the excitement of my children as they open doors on their advent calendars, stare at Christmas trees (and not pay attention to me), or watch every holiday special that comes on tv.  They love the lights and beg me to look at them while we're driving, leave their Rudolph toys all over the living room, and like to listen to Christmas music anytime we're in the car.

I sometimes worry that we are trying to cram in too many visits with our extended family, church programs, and time with our closest friends.

But I wouldn't trade it all for one thing.  

I've been reminded more than once this year that life is fleeting and fragile and we never know when our ride will come to an end.  Therefore, we should live and love each other now.

Comments

Popular Posts