When there aren't good words to use. . .

My friend Jill often talks about "sitting" Job-style.

Sometimes you feel like you need to say something.  

Today I felt that urge to say something to someone.

I've been wanting to say something for quite sometime, but didn't quite know what that something needed to be.

I'm not a good speaker.

I like to write things down, practice, re-write, and then maybe think of something better to say, or just chicken out.

There have been times that I've opened my mouth only to shove my size 7s inside.

So, today was THE DAY and I was not going to allow myself to chicken out.

Mustering every ounce of strength, I went over to speak to that someone.

Honestly, you would think that I was going over to speak to someone extremely famous the way my mouth dried up and my hands got all clammy.  It was almost ridiculous.

I stumbled through my words, trying to get them across just right without saying something incredibly insensitive or thoughtless. Heaven forbid I say ANYTHING that is on "the list" that Janine talks about.

I don't think there were any words fitting for this situation.

Sometimes I think it has to be easier just to cry and shake our heads because words can't describe this kind of situation.

And while what I said wasn't the most wonderful, inspiring, or eloquent thing, it was completely honest.

And I just wanted to say something.

Comments

  1. Thank you for what you said. You didn't give me the usual..as you said "list"...that I usually get. I know people are praying for us, and I like for people to tell us that, but when people can't say anything...just choke up and cry and can't anything except, I'm sorry...I know they've felt a litle of what we're feeling. You didn't have to say anything at all, but you did. Please know that it meant a lot.

    I will forever remember Chris's face that day in the hospital. He looked as broken as we felt (feel)..he didn't have to say a word. You both are so compassionate. There is great respect for the Avery's in our house...we love you guys although we don't get the chance to talk much. Perhaps we should fix that...

    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. ignore my typos...so embarassing for an English teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts