Anti-discouragement

After a particularly frustrating day at work, coupled with the long schedule I have on Mondays, I awoke last night and this morning in a slight funk.

Yes, Mrs. I Love My Job! is entitled to days of funk every now and then.

We all are.

However, I have spent the night and morning in prayer asking God to just handle it please. I cannot allow myself to wallow in these frustrations because I know it is simply the devil trying to rain on my parade.

So, I'm writing things that are POSITIVE about my job as a reminder to turn my frown upside down:

1. I get the immense opportunity to work with the future leaders in our churches.
2. I got the job that I absolutely, 100% prayed for.
3. I have the wonderful opportunity to be home two additional days during the work week which allows for family time and whatever tasks need to be handled.
4. I really enjoy my students and their personalities.
5. I love being paid to talk about worship music.
6. I love being paid to talk about Jesus.
7. I love working on the collegiate level.
8. I love not dealing with NC Public Schools.
9. I love the ability to work on my masters.
10. I love being able to dance with Lily in the kitchen on a Tuesday morning at 9:15am.
11. I love that I love taking care of ordinary things like cooking and cleaning which I used to HATE doing because it added one more thing to my packed out schedule.
12. I love the feeling of not being incredibly overworked because as a general rule I have time for everything.
13. I love working with talented musicians.
14. I love the craft of worship music.


So, that's a semi list. I could probably spend more time thinking of things, but that's just what came to my head initially.

However, some of you who are super kind and probably curious about my discouragement because you are so awesome and will pray for me, please just continue to pray for my adjustment to college students, their temperaments, and how I can best teach them. It's completely different. Good, but different.


Comments

  1. Amanda

    good for you for doing a "turn your frown upside down" list. It really does make a difference in our outlooks. And it really is a choice in what we think about and focus on. I know all too well from experience. And remember... I am an amateur psychologist :-)

    And I am so glad that you were able to share the crazy love excerpt with your students.

    One more thing-how are your workouts coming along? And weight loss?

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about trying to think about the positive things...so hard to do...the devil loves to take our focus off of the good things.
    I know all to well about the college student temperaments...it can range from "I know everything" to "I want you to do everything for me but I still want to have my name on my degree".
    I am sure it is still somewhat different/awkward to be teaching adults when you have been teaching children for a while. You will get the hang of it before you know it. Don't be so hard on yourself and rehash everything you said and wonder what you could have said different...better....and on and on and on.
    This year is your learning curve. Everyone gets one when they start a new job.
    Just come home and put in that wii and exercise your "fanny" off!!!!
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. YO YO YO - I think it is AWESOME that instead of just griping & complaining about the stuff that sucks - you CHOSE to see the wonderful things in your life to remind you of the positive even while battling the negative.

    Now that I've been nice I will take some small joy in you now having to deal with college students - ha ha - since that was my life for 10 years it is always a lil humorous to watch others get to roll through some of the same joys of dealing with it all.

    It was always really funny watching a student transition into an internship or staff spot and realize how tough it is on the "other side"! But know that we all didn't lose our sanity while working @ MACU or CCF, so you can do it - and also remember that a lot of times it was knucklehead parents who crippled their kids from being able to be adults and be committed and responsible - so don't be too tough on them!

    Keep focusing on the positive - and also learn to laugh at how stupid some of the situations can be (and then a big secret, find some close people to sit around and make fun of the students once in a while - that always helps - but don't tell them we do it ha ha ha ha)

    Hope you have a GREAT finish to the week and a wonderful weekend! Enjoy your Thursday with the fam!

    LATA BUDDY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts