Salty

These past few days have been crazy busy and fun for the Averys.  On Wednesday after school I drove to Corolla to the MACU staff retreat.  I had such a good time getting to know the faculty and staff at my new job.  Pete Kunkle, the senior pastor at First Christian in Kernersville, NC led us through the vision planning process.  I had NO CLUE who Dr. Kunkle was when I arrived at the retreat, but after listening to him speak and shooting the breeze with him while pier fishing I decided that he is one pretty awesome guy.  I told Chris at some point in the near future we needed to visit his church and see what's going on there.  I realized he was in the Bob Russell-sphere after listening to him speak--and I'm so glad I put that together after having a chance to talk to him one-on-one. 

I got to thinking after the MACU retreat and riding in the car with our family to Williamsburg for the Christ's Church staff retreat.  We were listening to my personal favorite, tobyMac, and Molly asked, "Does tobyMac worship the same God we do?"  Chris and I said, "Yes he does."  We then went on to talk about how when we get to Heaven we're pretty sure he'll be there too, and how he'll know Molly because we're all friends there (because Molly's been asking a lot of questions about heaven lately) and IN FACT not only will he be there, but other Avery Favorites like Chris Tomlin, DCB, Barlow Girl, and maybe even the Jonas Brothers might be showing their faces around there, too.  

Why is it that we tend to think that people like our favorite musicians and our favorite speakers like Andy Stanley or even Pete Kunkle live on a different playing field?  Why do we forget that they are just people like us, and one awesome day we will all be together rocking it OUT in Heaven like no praise service we have ever experienced on earth?  

Crazy.  

I know, some of you people are saying, "Whatever, I know they are regular blah blah blah" and I do, too.  But, seriously, if tobyMac walked through the doors of Christ's Church next Sunday I would most likely a.  pee my pants, b.  think of something cool to say while not appearing uncool in the process, or c.  all of the above.  

Why can't we be in awe of God's creation, including artists, musicians, and speakers?  I don't WORSHIP these people for goodness sake, but that doesn't mean that I can't admire them for their gifts and talents and what they are doing for the Kingdom.  

So, yes, Pastor Kunkle is one awesome dude.   

Moving onward. . . 

On Sunday, Chris took vacation time on a Sunday (the first Sunday he hasn't been in the back with the kids in Kidmo since DECEMBER--when we were on vacation in Delaware) and we decided to spend the day as a family at Busch Gardens in celebration of Lily's 2nd birthday--especially because Chris will miss it as he will be at the retreat.  We went to the character breakfast with Elmo and Friends.  Lily HATED it.  I take it back.  Cookie Monster proved to be too much for the little girl and she screamed and clawed and bit our shoulders for the rest of the meal until Chris finally took her outside.  She was so scared, but MOLLY thought it was GREAT!!!  We then spent the majority of the day in the Sesame Street park and let the girls play in the sprinkler park and riding the kids rides.  My parents and sister also joined us for the day which was good.  

Normally I do not suggest not going to church on Sunday--but our family needed some time together as our schedules have been so hectic and chaotic, and I think it's ok to step away sometimes to breathe.  Our church is so awesome--I love the families and people we worship with.  We are so blessed to be part of such a great group of people.  I also love my individual family and I counted my blessings all day yesterday as I watched my little girls play, smile, and be silly little girls.  I'm not going to make excuses for our family not being there--but I can't tell you how rejuvenating it was for our family to have some quality us-time.  

Again, what's wrong with admiration of God's creation?  

So, the girls and I came home this morning while Chris and the staff will stay for the remainder of the week for planning.  My mom is coming to stay and keep the girls while I'm at work.  I'm looking forward to spending time with her and celebrating Lily's birthday on Tuesday.  :)

When Lily wakes up from her nap in a few minutes the girls and I are loading up and heading to Target (to hopefully purchase my PAULA DEEN COOKWARE!!!!!!) and then to HT for the groceries.  I've got some good coupons that are set to expire at the end of the week and I want to get my savings!

Have a lovely week everyone! 

Comments

Popular Posts