Oh dear...

As you may or may not know, due to budget restrictions in Pitt County, my position at my current schools has changed dramatically.  Until this year I have been teaching K-5 general music and 6-8 chorus, and the other music director was teaching 4-8 strings and 6-8 band.  With these wonderful budget cuts, my school principal was told that one of her music positions would be eliminated--however the programs would remain.  After multiple meetings, prayers, tears, and discussions it was decided that I would remain at the school and my colleague would accept a different position in the county.  This means that I will be essentially squishing 2 jobs into one position--which looks pretty impossible on the paper schedule.  My colleague were unable to discuss this with the school staff or students until the very last day of teacher workdays.  As of right now very few, if any, of our music students are aware of the change at our school.  

How do I feel about all of this?  Very unsettled.  

I know that I have the skills to teach all of these classes.  I was a band student for many, many, many years and devoted countless hours to practicing my french horn (and all the other lovely instruments I had to demonstrate proficiency).  I also taught strings when I was student teaching 8 years ago.  But, I am not familiar with what to do the very first day of school.  I've discussed this with a few of my friends who are accomplished band directors.  They have been helpful, but they will not be there that first day when I stand in front of the students to tell them their band director is not Mr. Arny and that I will be working with them this year.  Hmm.

Summer is coming to a close and I have a lot to do.  I'm starting my masters and this new job--and I still have to find time to be a wife, mommy, and friend.  I feel like I'm treading water.  I just pray that it will all work out ok.   

In other news, I still think the Chinese girl is 13.

Additionally, I am very excited to see old friends on Saturday!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts