Space.

I like a little space.  


I don't like people all up on me when we're sitting at a restaurant.  I don't like it when retail stores have their clothing racks too close together.  I don't like it when I'm at the movie theater and someone I don't know sits rightnexttome.  I get the heebies when even people I love get all up in my business for too long.  My kids at school are trained to not sit to close to my chair when we're doing floor activities.  


"Mrs. A. needs her personal bubble.  Back up, y'all." 


But sometimes space can feel a little lonely and uncomfortable, too. 


Remember when you were in the dating scene and someone said they wanted "space."  We all knew to interpret this as:  I don't want to date you anymore.  


At least not exclusively


Right now my house feels pretty spacious.  We've taken down all of the Christmas decorations and it just feels. . . empty.   


I feel like it's all so sparse and big and hollow.  I know in a few days it will grow on me and I'll be glad that I don't have anything crammed up against every single corner and tabletop and mantle and crevice.  I'll be glad that my rooms are not crowded and congested and that there is, in fact, room to breathe. 


But today, it just feels.  . .empty. 

I look at my calendar and see a lot of space as well--especially compared to last month.  It seems our family calendar goes in spurts of overcrowded and then spacious for a few weeks.  We're sort of between busy seasons and it feels a little strange.  I enjoy the time at home, but I'm on this perpetual feeling of "what am I missing/forgetting???"  

It's a weird place to be. 

But for now, I am thankful for this space.  Because I know in a few weeks I'll be moaning about the busy and the crazy and the jam-packed days of insanity.  

Maybe your life is in a season of space.  Sort of caught in the in-between.  In between jobs, relationships, moves, changes.  Maybe you're at a standstill, waiting for what's next, but not really sure when it's coming.  Maybe you've got not idea how long this season will last, but you are well aware of being in the season. 

We've all been there.  

Ecclesiastes 3:1 NASB:  There is an appointed time for everything. 
And there is a time for every event under heaven.  (emphasis mine)

For whatever reason, this space in your life is for Divine Purpose.  There is a reason for the waiting.  There is a reason for the in between.  There is a reason that things are on standstill.  

There is a greater plan.  

Embrace the space. 

Comments

Popular Posts